Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Birth Story: Eliana

11/07/2014

Perfect Knit Beanie: Etsy: NatalkaShop

Yesterday was World Prematurity Day. In honor of this day when we raise awareness of preterm birth, I decided to share the birth story of our very own preemie baby, Eliana. 19 months ago we met our first daughter for the very first time, 5 1/2 weeks early. My pregnancy was healthy over all, baby was growing well and we were both doing great. Although, we did have several scares where I started having contractions; as early as 20 weeks, the first time it happened. As a result I took it easy, refrained from exercise and continued to eat healthy as much as I could. Needless to say, it was a complete shock, when my water started leaking.
My husband and I were both up pretty early on the morning of April 3, 2013. Both having to be at work by 6am. The night before at 8pm, I had started to leak. I never thought anything of it, this being my very first pregnancy. I had the strongest bladder imaginable and figured that my bladder finally became weak and decided to succumb to this 'pancake bladder' that pregnant women tend to have, where they have to pee a million times a day. I did however think something of it when the next morning I couldn't walk without leaking. My husband and I decided to call the nurses line, just in case to find out what it could be. We must have caused quite an alarm because my doctor called me back immediately even though it was only 4:30am, and told me to grab my things and head to the hospital, our baby was coming today!
I got off the phone laughing in shock, telling my husband, lets go to the hospital, my water broke. His response was, "This isnt funny baby, why are you laughing?!". It wasnt funny ofcourse, but thats just what I do when in shock. Hubby and I jumped in the car and zoomed to the hospital, with nothing but the clothes on our backs (we did not have a carseat, or hospital bag or anything ready). We walked in, and quickly got settled into our labor and delivery room. They hooked me up, to monitor me and the baby. We could see that I was having contractions, yet I couldnt feel them. We still dont know if it was due to my high pain tolerance or because of shock, I just didnt feel anything. By 8am, I wasnt dialated enough and it had been 12 hrs since my water started leaking, so they decided to induce me to speed things along. 
As soon as the pitocin kicked in the contractions got consistently worse and by noon they completely took over. The pain was so surreal, so painful. I couldn't move, literally paralyzed in pain. One contraction ended and the next one took over, no breaks. My poor hubby was holding my hand, encouraging me, telling me to squish his hand. But I couldn't, I physically couldn't move, unable to even squish his hand, no strength from the paralyzing pain. I couldn't lay on my back anymore, hurt too bad. I just kept switching from one side to the other, while telling my hubby over and over that I cant do this, I just cant anymore. The contractions were nonstop, pain was so bad, I couldn't even cry if I had wanted to. I focused on breathing deeply through every contraction because there was nothing else I could do. Eliana was doing great the whole time, it was adorable, she even got hiccups right before I started pushing and we saw it on the monitor. Before I delivered her, her heart beat went through the roof, over 200 beats per minute and she started moving around like crazy! I was shaking like crazy, I couldn't control myself. They told me its the adrenaline coursing through my body. 
At 12:30pm my doctor rushed in, didn't even have time to change because I was ready to push. The pressure subsided and my doctor quickly changed into scrubs and rushed back. She sat down with a big plastic bag in her lap. I asked my doc if it's for catching Eliana, if I pop her out quickly. We all laughed. We joked because I'm so tall, I may have her so quickly that my doc may not be quick enough to catch her. Eliana arrived after a few more excruciating pushes. At 12:58pm, weighing 5 lbs 2 oz and 19 inches long. 
They lay her on my stomach and I touched her little head, full of lots of dark hair. We were shocked shes a brunette, we were expecting a blondie the entire time. My little doll was just laying there, staring up at me with her big dark eyes; so tiny, so perfect. My husband cut her umbilical cord. We were smiling and laughing, we couldn't believe she's finally here! They took Eliana from me and started working on her. She cried twice and went limp. Apparently from the shock of the delivery, she was having trouble breathing. They tried moving her arms and legs but she wasn't responsive. They quickly whisked her upstairs to the NICU and my hubby went along. That was the only moment I got to hold my baby until the next day.
After my hubby and baby girl were gone, my doctor stitched me up and finished up with me within 20 minutes. Then, all I could do was wait. After about 1 1/2 hours my husband came back to the delivery room and showed me pictures of our Eliana. He told me how she's doing and gave me her weight and length. Until that moment I was yet to hear or know anything about her, besides the quick glimpse I got of her. They put me in a wheel chair to move me into my recovery room; even though I told them I could walk just fine on my own. We still couldn't go see Eliana, they were doing surgery on another baby upstairs. Within a few minutes the NICU doctor came downstairs to update us. She was breathing on her own pretty much since birth and after the initial shock wore off, she was doing amazing! After visiting with our family a bit, we were able to start going upstairs to introduce her to everyone and touch her and love on her. It was so surreal. She was all ours, so tiny, yet so absolutely perfect. We couldn't imagine a bigger blessing!
For the next 2 1/2 weeks we went every single day to visit her. We got to change her diaper, eventually we got to hold her, feed her and touch her, any time we wanted while there. She was such a trooper, gaining weight and getting stronger by the day. I started pumping and she was able to have my breast milk from the very first day. Its certainly called 'liquid gold' for a reason. I was blessed with so much, they even told me to stop bringing anymore to the hospital. Days passed slowly. In between her feeds/diaper changes we went shopping; buying a car seat, rocking chair for the nursery and all the other small things we never got around to getting. Every day it became harder and harder to leave her, even for a few hours. I was strong and cried maybe twice from missing her throughout those weeks. Having a part of you, your baby far away from the safety of your arms and not being able to hold and touch her and give her all the love you want to...its absolutely heart wrenching!  
On a stormy rainy day, April 20th, 2013, we finally got to stay the night with her in the room with us. The rain was coming down in huge gusts, beating against the windows. We fed her, changed her and just adoringly stared at her, without any feeding tubes or monitors attached to her precious little body. What an amazing feeling. This is how it must feel for parents with full term babies. We waited a long time for this day but it was worth it! We finally had our baby all to ourselves! We were just giddy with joy, bringing her home. 
Since that day 1 year and 7 months ago, we have gotten to have her with us every day; feeding her, holding her, playing with her and loving on her. She truly has been our little world! She's always been so happy. Rarely if ever crying. She was a trooper with teething, and has all her teeth now, with just her canines having to finish coming out completely. She brings us so much joy and happiness. Our love for her is unconditional, and those days spent away from her, are now just a distant memory. Being parents to a preemie has some challenges, she was always weaker and took her time in the strength department, but she is perfect none-the-less, nothing time doesn't take care of. Looking at these sweet pics I took a week ago, you wouldn't be able to guess that she was born so tiny, so early. She is our little miracle baby who surprised us with her early arrival. 
A few memories from the NICU:
P.S.  On Instagram, under the hashtag #LifeOfEliana, you can see pictures of Eliana from birth along with more snippets of her story.

P.P.S. There are two miracle babies, named Claire and Charlotte. God saw fit to bring them into this life very early at just 25 weeks. They have truly been pure miracles in all they have survived and accomplished in their short lives, thus far. True fighters, who have shown our good Lord's mercy and grace with every day they live and grow stronger. I have so much love for them and they are always on my mind and in my prayers. My heart goes out to their parents, Mark and Tina, and how hard it has been for them. Please pray for these identical little angels and their strong beautiful mama and papa.
- If you would like to see and hear updates on how they are doing please follow them on here: Instagram.
- If your heart is open to sharing and giving, please donate to Claire and Charlotte here. Having a NICU baby was so expensive for us, over $80K before insurance just for the 2.5 weeks our doll stayed there, with no complications and no surgeries...imagine the expenses for Mark and Tina and their precious girls. May God bless you for your kindness!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story! I just started following and did not know Ellie was a preemie. Slava Bogy she's happy and healthy!
    with love, Anna
    www.jujuandlucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! She truly is such a blessing in our lives. Who would have thought that preemies were such tough little cookies.

      Delete